Photographer ©Swee Oh
Hasselblad proudly continues its second year of Hasselblad Heroines, which highlights various female photographers making their mark in the photographic industry. Kicking off the second-year instalment on 8 March 2020, International Women’s Day, is the first Hasselblad Heroine Swee Oh. Through weekly spotlights over a total of seven weeks, each Heroine will share their experiences in their career, challenges in a typically male-dominated industry, and inspiration in their art through short video interviews. By putting a spotlight on these talented creatives, Hasselblad Heroines hopes to encourage the next generation of female photographers to go against the grain and bring their creative visions to life.
The 2020 Hasselblad Heroines lineup features the following seven photographers:
- 2016 Hasselblad Master in Architecture Swee Oh based in San Francisco, California, whose professional background in architecture influences her artistic eye;
- Hasselblad Ambassador Julia Fullerton-Batten based in London, a fine art photographer renowned for her highly cinematic visual storytelling;
- 2014 Hasselblad Master in Fashion/Beauty Bara Prasilova from Prague whose conceptual imagery presents surreal scenes using custom props and costumes;
- Celia D. Luna, a fashion and portrait photographer based in Miami, who creates colour-rich images influenced by her Peruvian upbringing and the vibrance of life in Florida;
- Hasselblad X You Grand Prize Winner Clarissa Bonet from Chicago, Illinois, whose fine art photography explores the pedestrian experience of the urban space;
- 2016 Hasselblad Master in Portrait Natalia Evelyn Bencicova from Bratislava, whose work constructs compelling narrative scenarios that blur the lines between reality, memory and imagination;
- Italian fine art photographer Chiara Zonca based in Vancouver, BC, who explores some of Earth’s most unique landscapes, capturing forms and shapes that feel out of this world.
“Last year we received a resoundingly positive response to the Hasselblad Heroines series, and we want to continue celebrating artists who represent true creative ingenuity. Since its inception nearly eighty years ago, Hasselblad carries a vested interest in the growth and development of the photographic arts and the nourishment of diverse and innovative creators,” said Marketing Manager Bronius Rudnickas.
Find all of the Hasselblad Heroines’ stories, images, and video interviews at www.hasselblad.com/heroines
Founded in 1941, Hasselblad is one of the leading manufacturers of digital medium format cameras and lenses. True to its Scandinavian heritage, Hasselblad cameras are renowned for their iconic ergonomic design, uncompromising image quality and extremely high performance. For over half a century, Hasselblad cameras have captured some of the world’s most iconic images – including the first landing on the Moon – and helped shape the way we look at the world through genuine photographic artistry. Trusted by NASA and used by some of the greatest photographers in the world, Hasselblad continues to develop products that enable all types of creatives to capture their artistic vision.
Hasselblad’s H and X Camera Systems and their superb range of medium format lenses fuse innovative technology with precision mechanics, delivering exceptional imaging experiences for every sort of photographer. The highly professional H System, with its latest line up of the H6D-50c, H6D-100c and H6D-400c Multi-Shot, offers the ultimate image quality and resolution with 50, 100 and 400-megapixel solutions. The more portable X System easily enables bringing medium format photography outside of the studio with options that include the world’s first compact mirrorless digital medium format camera – the X1D-50c – followed by the second generation X1D II 50C. Combining the CFV II 50C digital back and 907X camera body, Hasselblad’s photographic history is connected, bringing the X, H, and V Systems together in a portable, sleek package.
Headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden, Hasselblad is a global brand with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Paris, Copenhagen, Hamburg and Shenzhen with distributors located throughout the world.